Please join the AmeriCorps Seniors program of United Way of Martin County for the 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terror attacks.
Twenty years after the attacks that changed our world forever, Martin County residents will unite as a symbol of resilience in the face of unimaginable tragedy.
The ceremony will be held at Jock Leighton Park in Palm City. Starting at 7:45 a.m. AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers will be handing out 2,977 American flags and asking participants to pay it forward to honor the lives lost on 9/11. The official program begins at 8:30 a.m. with remarks from Martin County Commissioner Ed Ciampi, followed by a 9/11 remembrance walk across the Veteran’s Memorial Bridge led by Martin County Fire Rescue.
The OneBlood Big Red Bus will be collecting donations and the Florida Department of Health in Martin County will be onsite to provide free COVID-19 vaccinations.
The event is free and open to the public. Attendees are asked to follow CDC guidelines that are in effect on Sept. 11. Questions? email email@example.com
- Act of Kindness Ideas for 9/11
- Donate books for tutors in elementary schools.
- Clean up a park, beach or neighborhood.
- Donate unused furniture, or housewares to a local nonprofit agency.
- Offer to help your neighbor: pick up their mail or watch their home while they are on vacation.
- Purchase a stranger’s coffee/breakfast or lunch in line behind you.
- Deliver a bouquet of flowers to a senior in your neighborhood.
- Arrange with a group of friends to visit a nursing home and have a sing-a-long/ or perform a concert.
- Read to a child at a preschool.
- Donate a toy for the United Way Holiday Project (10 SE Central Parkway, Suite 101, Stuart)
- Help pack frozen meals for deliveries to seniors.
- Volunteer at a feline no-kill shelter.
- Offer to walk your neighbor’s dog.
- Write a letter to a family member or adult who made a difference in your life and let them know the impact they had on you.
- Purchase some canned food and stock up a local food pantry.
- Donate diapers or baby items.
- Clean out your closets and donate your clean, gently worn clothing to a nonprofit.
- Sign up to volunteer prior to or following a disaster: hurricane, flood, cold spell www.unitedwaymartin.org
- Bake muffins or cookies and deliver them to your neighbor with a card wishing them a great day.
- Send your child’s teacher a note asking if there is any supplies you can provide for the classroom.
- Wash windows for a senior citizen.
- Donate old eyeglasses to an organization that collects them and distributes them to people in need.
- Participate in a charity race
- For your next birthday, ask for a charitable donation instead of gifts.
- Help register people to vote.
- Organize a car wash and donate the profits to charity.
- Collect sports equipment and donate to after-school programs.
- Donate used children’s books to a school library.
- Mow an elderly neighbor’s lawn.
- Drive seniors to doctor appointments.
- Read to residents at a nursing home.
- Adopt a local highway or road and clean up trash along it.
- Raise money to provide a bulletproof vest for a police dog.
- Pick up medicine for an elderly neighbor.
- Make birthday cards for the elderly.
- Adopt an acre of rainforest.
- Care for a neighbor’s pet while they are away.
- Become CPR certified.
- Join a neighborhood watch program.
- Clean up vacant lot.
Palm City, FL